When you really love something, you don’t let things get in the way. And that’s the way I feel about most things chocolate. Especially the rich, delectable, dense, crispy on the outside warm and chewy on the inside brownie–if only you weren’t made with sugar and wheat and the bad kind of fats that will turn your arteries into solid logs of cholesterol. But you know there’s always a better way–the ultimate way–the Raw Vegan Brownie!
Do they taste as good as they look? I’d say they taste even better. Because who would think by looking at these little beauties that they were in fact made with clean, pure, wholesome, great-for-your-arteries ingredients that boast anti-carcinogenic, cardiovascular protecting, brain cell boosting, blood sugar balancing, amazing properties?! But of course, the best part about this brownie is, it’s so darn good, you have to control yourself, or before you know it the whole pan is empty! The cruchy nutty almonds on top of a layer of dark rich chocolate ganache and moist cake, with little bits of Himalayan salt bringing out the sweetness of the bitter chocolate–it’s heaven in your mouth.
For the Brownie:
2 cups of moist pitted Medjool Dates (soak in warm water for 30 minutes if not moist and soft, then drain)
2 cups of Raw Walnuts (can substitute Almonds or Pecans)
1/2 cup of Raw Flax Meal or Raw Oat Flour (Can substitute for additional Walnuts)
4 Tbsp Raw Cacao Powder
For the Raw Chocolate Ganache*:
3/4 cup Virgin Organic Coconut Oil – Warmed to liquid
3/4 cup Raw Cacao Powder
3/4 cup Raw Maple Syrup or Raw Agave Syrup
*If consistency of ganache is too thick after mixing, add up to 1/4 cup more of Coconut Oil. Mine was slightly thinner than pancake batter*
1/2 – 1 cup sliced Raw Almonds for Topping
1/2 to 1 tsp Coarse grated Himalayan Pink Salt for Topping
For the Brownie:
1. Blitz the walnuts in a high quality food processor till very fine and crumbly (almost like a walnut meal)
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse till evenly blended.
3. Press into a brownie pan (Pick a pan the size of your choice. the larger the pan, the thinner the brownie will be. I used a 9×13) that has been lined with Wax or Parchment paper.
For the Raw Vegan Dark Chocolate Ganache:
1. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and use a hand held mixer to whip it till it is totally smooth. Alternatively put everything in the blender and blitz till smooth.
2. Pour over the brownie base, then top with almond slices and Himalayan Salt.
Refrigerate Brownies for about 1 hour (Hint: this is the hardest part–the waiting!). Then cut into pieces. My batch made about two dozen bit sized pieces. Store in the fridge till you are ready to eat.